And before starting any technical explanation we have to understand the in-memory computing.
So, what is in-memory computing ?
- In-Memory computing is a Technology that allows the processing of massive quantities of real time data in the main memory of the server to provide immediate results from analyses and transactions.
An it is clearly the time to use and abuse of the technical capabilities given by the new hardware on the market
- Multi core architecture 8 x 8 Core Architecture (Per Blade), using massive parallel scaling with many blade.
- 64 Bit address space – 2TB in current servers, some vendors are already providing 16TB Memory appliances using DDR4, Intel Broadwell EX E7, @link
- Using 100 GB/s data throughput.
- Effect is a dramatic decline in price performance.
It mean that now we can build:
- A massively parallel (distributed) data management system that runs fully in memory, allowing for row- and column-based storage options, and that supports built-in multi-tenancy capabilities, optimized for on-demand deployments.
- We call this “IMP“ (in-memory platform)
Why The Need for IT and Business for In-Memory Computing ?
Simply because both are challenged by cost and an acceleration in the real time access to operational information for better decision.
Costly for IT
- For IT, high costs associated to purchase and maintain hardware to handle every increasing data volumes
- High TCO to administer/maintain multiple warehouses and transaction systems
- If the IT is NOT the hero – business users are Dissatisfied.
Challenges for Business
- Business, need to improve planning, forecasting, financial close processes, the current approach is too slow, not real time or not able to blend analytics and operations.
Back to the first question what is SAP HANA ?
HANA: High Performance ANalytic Appliance
SAP HANA appliance is a flexible, multi-purpose, data-source-agonistic in-memory appliance that combines SAP software components optimized to run on Intel-based hardware delivered by SAP’s leading.
The SAP HANA appliance delivers the following capabilities:
- Single SAP HANA database with native support for row and columnar data stores, providing full ACID (atomicity, consistency, isolation, durability) transactional capabilities.
- Powerful and flexible data calculation engine.
- SQL and MDX interfaces.
- Unified information modelling design environment.
- Data repository to persist views of business information (yes you can pull the power plug and your information is safely stored!)
- Data integration capabilities for accessing SAP (SAP NetWeaver BW, ERP, etc.) and non-SAP data sources.
- Integrated lifecycle management capabilities.
- Low TCO, as it is optimized for commodity hardware from a large number of partners
Combined, these capabilities allow SAP HANA to support massive amounts of data from across the enterprise, and apply complex calculations that, in turn, allow decision-makers to explore and analyze vast amounts of information at incredible response times and with a high degree of flexibility, without the need for IT involvement or hand-holding.
The major advantage is that SAP HANA support SAP business suite since 2013 (ERP,CRM,Supply Chain), Analytics (BW), and some customs applications.
The Performance effect is dramatically improved with In-Memory computing, really more faster than legacy system.
And to give you a brief understanding on how SAP HANA is working please get an eye on the below video.
Of course…… In-Memory will mean that data should not be protected, but it is not the case as SAP HANA as persistence , In-Memory data are regularly saved to disk through log and savepoint technologies that are a warranty for data consistency.
- SQL data and undo log information.
- Additional information as modeling data.
- Kept in-memory to ensure maximum performance.
- Write process is asynchronously.
- Information about data changes (redo log).
- Directly saved to persistent storage when transaction is commited (sychronous).
- Cyclidal overwrite (only after backup).
- Changed data and undo log is written from memory to persistent storage.
- At least every 5 mn (customizable).
What are the deployment option of SAP HANA ?
HANA has two major option for deployment
In an on-premise deployment, SAP HANA runs on dedicated hardware.
On-premise SAP HANA is deployed through the following offerings:
As an appliance, SAP HANA combines software components from SAP-optimized on proven hardware provided by SAP’s hardware partners. This approach is valid for Intel-based hardware platforms only.
Compared with the appliance delivery approach, SAP HANA Tailored Datacenter Integration is a more open and flexible approach, designed to serve your needs regarding the integration of SAP HANA in the data center. The requirements for this deployment option are as follows:
The server is certified and belongs to the allowed hardware.
The storage solution has successfully passed SAP HANA hardware certification.
The components of SAP HANA can only be installed by certified hardware partners, or any person holding certification on certified hardware running an approved operating system. See the SAP Education resources for information about the SAP HANA certification exams.
In the Cloud
In the cloud, SAP HANA is offered as a comprehensive infrastructure combined with managed services.
SAP HANA is deployed through the following cloud offerings:
SAP HANA Cloud Platform
SAP HANA Infrastructure Services
- High-performance cloud infrastructure to quickly deploy existing SAP HANA licenses,infrastructure-only on a monthly subscription (license bought separately)
SAP HANA DB Services
- Fully-featured SAP HANA hosted in the public cloud,infrastructure and license on a monthly subscription
SAP HANA App Services
SAP HANA Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS) in a cloud environment,infrastructure and license on a monthly subscription
SAP HANA Enterprise Cloud
- Enterprise-class SAP HANA managed cloud offering,infrastructure and managed services on a monthly subscription (license bought separately)
SAP HANA One
- Fully-featured SAP HANA hosted in the public cloud,infrastructure and license on an hourly subscription
SAP is proposed as a Cloud native services with different options for different needs:
This article is just an brief overview of what is SAP HANA, the Master guide will give you information and deep understanding of SAP HANA capacity @MAsTerGuideHana and you will find customer experience and project on the @SAP HANA Finders.
Related Information For SAP HANA
Links are provided to documentation on planning your deployment that is useful to know but not necessarily directly connected to SAP HANA.
Latest documentation for SAP HANA
|SAP HANA Platform on SAP Help Portal|
Sizing, calculation of hardware requirements, such as CPU, disk, and memory resources
Sizing, calculation of hardware requirements – such as CPU, disk and memory resources – with the QuickSizer tool
Released platforms and technology-related topics such as maintenance strategies and language support – Platform Availability Matrix (PAM)
Unicode SAP systems and their availability
To get the full access to the SAP Service Marketplace you need an authorized user ID to access this information. Do you need to register for an SAP Service Marketplace login? Did you forget your password?
The following table lists further useful links on SAP Service Marketplace:
|SAP incident wizardb||https://support.sap.com/incidentInformation|
|SAP Notes search||https://support.sap.com/notesInformation|
|SAP Software Download Center||https://support.sap.com/swdcInformation|
|SAP Online Knowledge Products (OKPs)||https://service.sap.com/rktInformation|